Groups of five students worked together to solve one of the following eight problems. They developed solutions that can be implemented in their school or community. The video and article resources were meant to provide context and background for each question, but were not solutions. Click here for the winning entries.
Criteria for judging the student proposals:
- Clearly defines the issue
- Clearly identifies the solution
- Realistic for implementation in community/school
- Likely to motivate others to participate
- Considers fundraising and costs
What do we want to say to our parents and teachers about kids’ use of technology?
- KSTP Video – New app allows parents to freeze their kids’ mobile devices – https://youtu.be/P22uIXisses
- NPR – When parents are the ones too distracted by devices – http://www.npr.org/sections/alltechconsidered/2014/04/16/303749247/when-parents-are-the-ones-too-distracted-by-devices
Sexting – Is it a problem? Why do people do it? How can we educate each other about the risks?
- BOM411 Youth Radio Video – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5Nmcs9uYLA
- ConnectSafely.org – FAQ on Sexting and Sextortion – http://www.connectsafely.org/faq-on-sexting-and-sextortion/
What are some simple things people can do to protect themselves online?
- Epipheo Video – Why care about Internet privacy? – https://youtu.be/85mu9PLWCuI
- ConnectSafely.org – Safety Tips – http://www.connectsafely.org/safety-tips/
How do we achieve better balance in our lives between school, family, friends, activities and our use of tech?
- CBS This Morning – Study reveals how teens, tweens use tech devices – https://youtu.be/c1iDbYHVlwY
- ConnectSafely.org – Can we reconcile the paperless classroom with screen addiction? – http://www.connectsafely.org/can-we-reconcile-the-paperless-classroom-with-the-screen-addiction/
What are our rights and responsibilities as creators and consumers of digital media/content?
- Discover News Video – Media Consumption: How much is too much? – https://youtu.be/IVWXRlhoO_I
- ConnectSafely.org – How educators can talk to students about media literacy – http://www.connectsafely.org/how-educators-can-talk-with-students-about-media-literacy/
How can school counselors and administrators support students when they make mistakes posting on social media (pictures that jeopardize reputation of self or others, dealing with cyberbullying, etc.)?
- UBC Digital Tattoo: If we looked you up online, what would we learn about you? – https://youtu.be/T3awgYhZjdQ
- Is your school’s “Digital Citizenship” practice a pass or fail? – George Couros – http://georgecouros.ca/blog/archives/3658
How can we encourage empathy and support among our peers online? What about among adults?
- Empathy Can Change the World Video – https://youtu.be/aU3QfyqvHk8
- ConnectSafely.org – What to do when your child feels invisible around other people – http://www.connectsafely.org/what-to-do-when-your-child-feels-invisible-around-other-people/
What can teenagers do to support others in their efforts to adopt and use technology safely and productively (siblings, seniors, community members, etc.)?
- A student’s take: Why cell phone use at school is a great idea – Smarter Schools Project – http://smarterschoolsproject.com/blog/students-take-why-cellphone-use-school-great-idea
- A student’s perspective on the use of social media – Edutopia – http://www.edutopia.org/discussion/students-perspective-use-social-media